Wednesday, July 4, 2012

And then came one.....

A few months ago I relived the birth of my middle boy on his birthday.  I had all intentions of doing the same for my oldest as well.....his birthday was yesterday.  he he he, at least it's only a day, maybe a few more, right?!

My oldest was a surprise.  Not one of those, "OH MY WORD, I CAN'T BELIEVE IT" surprises.  More like an early Sunday morning test followed by an equally early morning phone call to my sister(who reminded me I needed to tell Eddie and that all would be ok....she was going to be an AUNT!)  I will never forget going to class that Sunday morning and during the praise/prayer request time hearing another couple excitedly announce their pregnancy.  Oh how they rejoiced, how thrilled everyone was....they(the class) knew that this was not a quick journey to parenthood for them.  And then came our turn.  I, tearfully, announced we were also expecting.  The response was totally opposite, due to my tears and concern.  I was overwhelmed by the women AND men in our class surrounding us with support, love, and excitement.  Don't get me wrong, I was excited to be carrying a sweet baby.  I was, however, a young newly married "girl"...I didn't feel like I was old enough to be considered worthy or ready to grow a baby and then care for said sweet one. But God knows better.

A few months later we welcomed our sweet boy into this world.  It was such an amazing experience with my family and friends!  We brought a Polaroid type camera and Eddie rushed pictures of Jordan out to the waiting room that was filled with church family wanting to catch a glimpse of this new life.  My sister and mom were both in town and got to spend time with him soon after he was born, before I was moved to a regular room.  Such sweet memories.

What happened to the other couple?  Well, six days after my sweet boy was born....their sweet boy was born!  It was so great to go through pregnancy together- having someone to ask questions to, exchange stories with, and just spend time together.  I have pictures of our boys "playing" together as babies...such fun!  Alas, all good things come to an end and this did as well.  They were transferred elsewhere when the boys were still toddlers. His birthday, coincidentally, is today. :) 

My Jordan is 12......he is tall, goofy, handsome, funny, sarcastic, witty, lanky, smart, nerdy(his terms), sweet, kind, curious, Lego-enthusiast, creator, thinker, responsible-ish ;) , writer, artist, gamer(also his term), intuitive, quirky, cuddly(well, as cuddly as a kid can be who is almost as tall as I am!).  He is a Christ follower, is there anything better?!  He is learning to create his own relationship with Christ, separate from what I have taught him so far, what a wonderful thing!  We are entering a new time in his life.  One with lots of ups and downs....ok, lets be honest...lots of downs and some ups. ;)  How I miss that sweet little toddler who trusted everything mommy said and did.  How I love this 12 year old who wants to know ME more, not just as a mom but as a person.  He is one of my joys, one of my challenges, one of my blessings!

We have begun a sharing journal, he and I.  It has been neat to see his heart through this.  I have also tried to make sure he and I have time to chat at bedtime, with no set time frame, just to chat about the day and anything going on in his head....BOY, there are some amazing things floating around up there!!  I can hardly wait to see what he will accomplish in his life for the Lord.  I cherish these times and this journal.  It has been so honest, so open, so sweet.  He has shared things with me that have surprised me, made me laugh, yes-made me cry as well, and given me new, more insightful ways to pray for and with him.

So on this his birthday time, he he he, I am so very thankful for the perfect surprise.  What a treasure he is.  What a joy it is!  What a time we've had.  My heart feels as though it will overflow with love for this young man!

Happy birthday to my boy wonder!!!

My sweet boy wonder at a pool party!

Such a handsome one!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Jordan, I remember the day you were born. What a sweet memory. It was a beautiful thing for me to share the beginning of the great parenting journey with your mama. You were Samuel's first friend! :)

    Happy Birthday sweet boy. I hope you had a great one!

    ReplyDelete