Friday, July 6, 2012

From my son to all moms.....

Last night as I was going in to tell my oldest goodnight an interesting thing happened.  Earlier he had whined about having to help straighten up the next day(being today) before playing a computer game.  I didn't get mad or fuss, I simply went on my way.  Apparently guilt had been settling on him.  He said, "Can we talk about what happened earlier?"  Imagine my surprise!  So we talked it through and then just talked.

He had been watching home movies that day.  He enjoys seeing himself and his siblings as little people...cute, funny, sweet, playing nicely with others, etc.  So on the tail end of talking through why he didn't want to help out today he asked me last night why he wasn't like that anymore.  My heart sank.  He was struggling with feelings of not being worth much, inadequate.

So, I began telling him what he was REALLY like...not the video version of himself.  Yes, he was sweet, funny, kind, played with others well...most of the time....but also he was stubborn, opinionated, and a very typical toddler.  I told him I loved who he was as a little one and so enjoyed him growing up...AND I sooooo love who he is and watching and helping him figure out this thing called life!  I love how crazy he is, how he tries to be sarcastic(not at all the right times, though), how he has a tender heart, and how I love to watch and see how he is growing in to a young man.  I told him of his birthday blog- he was pleased with that. :)  and listed some of the things that are dear to me about my sweet, sweet boy.  Like crazy, funny, sarcastic....

With tears my 12 year old said, "But if I'm crazy, how can I learn to be a responsible young man?!"  I giggled. :)  I told him I loved that he still danced like no one was watching and in a room full of people(doesn't matter who they are) he still yells, "MOMMY! or MOM!" and runs to give me a hug, no matter who may be staring.  That is crazy....in such a great way!  It is the type of crazy I want for all my kids...the type of crazy that means they are willing to defy the "norm" and be who God wants them to be!

We talked for another long while about all that I saw in him and that I only desire for him to follow God's path for his life..not my path for him.  It was sweet and precious and I will treasure it always.....
At this point for the 1 or 2 reading this you are probably wondering why I am blogging about this.  Well, as I was getting up to leave Jordan said to me, "Mom, will you blog our conversation?"  Very confused, I asked for clarification...he is a very private boy and most of his funny comments on life I am not allowed to share with the world.  Here is his explanation:

Well, I think that other moms of boys should do this.  You know, talk about what makes them special and why you love them and stuff, list the stuff that they like about them.  Maybe it would help someone else, you know?

So I bid you all a good day and with the wisdom of a 12 year old I say.....Go tell your kids why they are amazing and unique and that God made them specifically how they are, on purpose, and for His glory! :)

3 comments:

  1. What a special time. Thank you both for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is so sweet! definitely moments worth remembering and tell him thanks for reminding others to take the time to just 'talk' =)

    ReplyDelete