Thursday, July 19, 2012

What a ride! Lessons from the Car....

Jared has exactly 3 more hours at LearningRx.....that means the week after camp I will be done driving from my house to Hodges Blvd. three days a week....yea?

I am excited to be done.  Jared is too.  But I am left with a bit of wanting....or wishing...wanting him to be further along on the journey of his to read easily...wishing things weren't so tough some days...wanting him to feel comfortable reading whatever sign, menu, book, etc that comes his way...wishing I were "better" at reaching him, teaching him, understanding him.....

Ug....I read a friend's post earlier that said she had a nice bath in her own personal pity party...I know the feeling!  How I long to be more organized, more even tempered, more "with it"....but thankfully I am only called to focus on Christ, not on these other things I impose on myself!

Anyway!!  So here are some lessons I have learned over the past seven months- lessons from the car:

Driving 45 minutes away, 3 days a week is draining....it drains your time, your gas, your money....
Driving 45 minutes away, 3 days a week is rewarding...I am rewarded with LOTS of one on one time with the kids, I am rewarded with lots of laughter, smiles, sharing...
It is a necessity to have snacks in the car at all times!
It is important that said snacks not be perishable.....
If the car smells funny.....check for the chicken leg from yesterday's lunch! ;)
If you are a 6 year old little girl, a 45 minute drive does not mean you had time to put your shoes on.
If you are the mother to this girl, the 45 minute drive should have been spent praying for patience!
It is really fun to mess with your kids as you drive....
Laughing together is so very important!!
When you are stuck in the rain, on the Buckman, going 20 mph.....2 of your kids WILL have to go to the bathroom....baaaaaadly
Dancing to the radio is fun....especially when done together!
Letting the kids call to request a song on the radio is interesting.....
If the phone rings and you are able to safely answer it....all three kids will begin talking at once....
If you wave your hand at them like a crazy person to get them to stop talking, they will only begin to whisper.....loudly
Lessons in humility, truth, love, and kindness are taught as you drive.....
I am not usually the teacher of such lessons.
Sneezing in a closed in space(as in the passenger seat right next to me) will indeed make me cringe....
I need to do better and censoring this cringe and any words that may accidentally slip out(like, "Ew gross!)...
I will need to apologize to a few people when the 6 year old repeats such a phrase when someone sneezes near her....joy
I have really funny kids....
I am incredibly thankful for this time.....
 Being trapped together like this won't happen again....treasure the moments together as they come.


1 comment:

  1. what a ride! so true for every moment He gives us here, yes? (:
    and to treasure each one, a lesson i am continually working on.
    thank you for sharing your joys and your challenges - you make me smile, and you lead me to His feet in praise of Him shining in you!

    ReplyDelete